When I woke up today it was 38 degrees Celsius. At 8 in the morning. And it’s only June.
This summer we’ve had an incredible abundance of cherries, and we’ve been buying them by the kilo every week. I’ve been having fresh cherries and limeade as a snack everyday at the hottest part of the afternoon. I thought, wouldn’t that make a delicious combination as a popsicle?! I was right. Not only is it delicious, but it’s so simple to make and flavourful enough that it doesn’t need any added sugar or sweetener.
Later in the afternoon (it was about 40 degrees) my neighbour asked if I had looked outside today. I stepped onto the balcony to find the mountain next to my house was literally on fire. It was definitely time for a popsicle.
For 4 popsicles:
- approx 300 grams of cherries
- 1/2 cup water
- juice of one or two limes (depending on preference)
- De-stem and pit the cherries. If you like whole pieces of fruit in your popsicles, set a few pieces of cherry to the side.
- Place the lime juice, cherries, and a little bit of the water in a blender and food processor and blend. Keep adding water until you’ve reached the desired consistency. I made mine thicker than a juice, but thinner than a smoothie. Finally, if you set a few pieces of cherry aside, add them now.
- Pour the mixture into your popsicle mold and place it in the freezer.
- Enjoy and keep cool this summer!