(Makes 4 sausages)
- 115 grams vital wheat gluten
- 1 tbsp chickpea (gram) flour
- 1.5 tsp Italian mixed herbs
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes in olive oil, finely chopped
- Mix together all of the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add in the wet ingredients and mix with the dry to form a firm ball of dough. The dough should be slightly moist but it should not be sticky or too wet or oily. Mix in a bit more vital wheat gluten if necessary
- Once you have formed a firm ball of dough, knead the dough for about 2 minutes.
- Cut the ball of dough into 4 equal pieces but cutting it in half and then each piece into half again.
- Form each of the four pieces of dough into sausage shapes.
- Wrap each of the sausages tightly in aluminium foil.
- Place the sausages in a steamer and steam for about 30-45 minutes. They should come out more firm and slightly darker in colour. If you plan to grill the sausages you can steam them for slightly less time so that they do not dry out.
- The sausages can be eaten as is or can be substituted into your favourite recipes. They are great in pastas and soups! They can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week or can be frozen for about three months.