This Chana Masala is a super easy and inexpensive recipe packed with protein and flavour. It comes together quickly in just one pot, using only 10 ingredients which you probably already have in your kitchen.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 thumb sized piece of ginger
- 1 green chili
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 2 tins of chickpeas/garbanzo beans (400g x 2)
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes (400g)
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 125 grams of spinach (optional)
Serve with: Rice, naan, chapatis, or potatoes
- Finely dice the onion; mince the garlic and ginger, and finely chop the green chili. De-seed the chili for a milder heat.
- Heat the oil in a pan on low-medium heat and once it is hot, add in the onion and cook for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, ginger, and green chili and stir together for another 3 minutes.
- Stir in the garam masala and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas (you can reserve the aquafaba for other recipes to use as an egg replacer in vegan mayonnaise or in baked goods such as brownies or meringues).
- Add the chickpeas to the pot and fully incorporate in the spices. Season to taste with salt and pepper and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add the tin of tomatoes and bring to a low boil.
- Cover the pot, reduce the heat, and let simmer for 15-30 minutes. The longer you let it simmer the more flavourful it will become. Continue to stir occasionally and do not let it dry out.
- Once the chickpeas are done simmering, remove from the heat and stir in some spinach until wilted (if using).
- Serve the Chana Masala with rice, naan, chapatis, potatoes or a combination and enjoy!